- Do always use a condom, no matter what.
- Don’t have more than one sex partner at a time.
- Don’t cheat – it increases your chances of getting HIV .
- Do say ‘no’ to sex if you don’t feel ready for it.
- Don’t have sex in exchange for money or gifts - but if you do, use condoms every time you have sex. Don’t ‘buy’ HIV or a pregnancy with the gifts an older partner is giving you!
- Don’t make decisions about sex if you have been drinking alcohol - it may impair your judgement, make you say ‘yes’ when you should say ‘no’, or make you weak and not able to defend yourself.
- Do remember that deciding to have sex should always be your choice.
- Do be street smart and avoid places where you can be raped or forced into unprotected sex. Avoid going to someone’s house when there is no one else there and avoid dark empty places! Go to public places such as cinemas or markets where there are many people. Otherwise stay safe in a crowd of friends.
It is important to test and know your status. If you are positive you can start free ARV treatment. HIV tests and treatment are free at all government health facilities.