Your hormones can go a bit crazy during puberty and you may find you suddenly get pimples and acne on your face. You may also get some on your chest, back and shoulders.
This is because the oil glands underneath your skin are creating lots of extra oil (called sebum). The oil mixes with dirt and dead skin cells and starts to clog the skin. It can be embarrassing to have pimples and it can make you feel ugly and shy.
Sorry! There is no quick fix, but you can try making it easier by following these do’s and don’ts:
- Do clean your face in the morning and evening with warm water and soap for pimply skin – making sure you remove all make-up at night
- Don’t squeeze your pimples
- Do keep your hair clean and out of your face
- Don’t touch your face
- Do protect yourself from the sun
- Don’t use oily creams
- Do drink lots of water and eat fruit and vegetables
- Don’t eat too much sugary food
- Do speak to a doctor or pharmacist if your skin is not getting any better
Your skin is going through puberty too and sometimes skin problems can only be managed, not changed. But don’t worry, bad skin should clear up when you are older!